By: Elena Grace Flores
Human rights victims under martial law vowed to make complaints at the Supreme Court over President Rodrigo Duterte’s approval in allowing the burial of the late President Ferdinand E. Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani – but until now, it is not clear if they already made such complaints because the Supreme Court has not said anything about that. On the other hand, Malacañang disclosed that it is ready to accept the decision of the Supreme Court they will make a move in stopping the said burial. “We will respect any decision of the High Court. We will be always respective,” chief presidential legal counsel Salvador Panelo said.
The SC’s silence however was substituted by Vice President Leni Robredo’s noise over Tweeter saying; Marcos is no hero. This was the ttatement of the VP on the Decision to Bury President Marcos in Libingan ng mga Bayani as per pic.twitter.com/9LRuIF2Sfb — Leni Robredo (@lenirobredo) August 8, 2016
Duterte already explained earlier that Marcos’ interment at the Libingan “doesn’t mean he’s a hero in the true sense of the word.” He added that the law allows former soldiers and presidents to be buried there.
The Philippine Army will be giving military honors to Marcos during the burial. It was ordered by Rear Admiral Ernesto Enriquez, the Armed Forces of the Philippines Deputy Chief of Staff for Reservist and Retiree Affairs upon the command of AFP chief General Ricardo Visaya that the Army is tasked to provide vigil, a bugler and a drummer, a firing party, military host/pallbearers, escort and transportation, and arrival and departure honors. Full military honors indeed fit for a President’s burial!